Your home is probably your most important investment, but there are times when you just have to sell. Different people have different reasons. But, what’s important is what’s next? What do you do after finalizing your decision.
Your real estate agent probably has a long list of what you should do. For the meantime, there are things you can do on your own to help your home become more sellable. Here are some things you can do to impress your buyers and earn top dollar for your home.
- Less is more. Declutter and organize your things. Remove knickknacks, toys and other belongings that clutter the rooms in your house to make the spaces seem larger and more open. Buyers will also have fewer distractions as they walk through the home.
- Start your repair. There are some damages that you can fix on your own like replacing broken fixtures or taking down those old curtains.To get an idea of what you need to repair, walk through your home and imagine yourself as a buyer, or walk through with a friend you can trust.
- Clean thoroughly. Aside from your regular cleaning chore, set up a schedule to do a deep cleaning. Every surface a potential buyer sees is a surface that needs to be clean. A deep cleaning means shampooing carpets, washing windows and cleaning tile grout throughout the house.
- Spray some air freshener. If you have pets or some lingering odor from last night’s dinner, spray some air freshener to add a nicer aroma. You can also add fragrances or potpourri around the kitchen and other parts of the house.
- Start staging your home. Your decor expresses your personality, but home shoppers may have different tastes. Consider changing the decor to appeal to a large number of buyers. You can rearrange furniture, tone down dramatic wall paint with more neutral colors or even rent new pieces of furniture until the home is sold.