Winter is making way for spring, and what better way to start the new season than with a fresh home? It is the time of year to get rid of extra and unnecessary things in your house. These items usually accumulated during the holidays and the winter season.
Here are some of the things you need to get rid of. Disposable utensils from all those takeouts and home deliveries, old decorations, holiday cards, extra wrapping paper, clothes you no longer wear, books that you’ve read, old magazines, CDs, DVDs, kitchen gadgets you never used, ketchup packets, receipts and old food in the fridge. Look around the house and evaluate which items you need and which items you can dispose of.
Here are 5 spring cleaning tips to help you sort out your house and your lives.
- Make a list of what you want to accomplish. Example: Clean out the garage. Be specific with your goals. Do not just write “Clean the house” because you probably won’t get anywhere. The technique in spring cleaning is dealing with one area at a time. You can start cleaning up in your bedroom and go outwards. There are also people who prefer to start with the kitchen or the living room. The important point here is that you have a clear goal and a specific list of what you want to do.
- Use the right cleaners for the job. Metal polish is for metal surfaces and glass cleaners are for things made out of glass. Using the wrong cleaner could lead to accidents and destruction of the item being cleaned. Before using any product, read the labels so you know you’re using the right cleaner.
- Get rid of the things you don’t need or want. Other people might need these items, you can either sell it or give it to them. After you’re done with spring cleaning, you can hold a garage sale for those items that can still be used. Ever heard of “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”?
- Make a change. It doesn’t have to be something big. You can repaint the walls or change the curtains. You can also rearrange your furniture for a new look. You don’t have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to improve how your house would. You can search online for small home improvement ideas you can do on your own.
- Get organized and stay organized. Keep items in their containers and drawers and make sure that they stay where they are. Place small boxes or vases where you can store small items like keys, locks, and letters.
Spring cleaning is a great way to start the season because it gives you a new start. It is also the first step in preparing your home to sell this Spring season. You can do spring cleaning in any aspect of your life, not just your house. The idea behind spring cleaning is de-cluttering your life and making it organized, keeping only those that you want and need.
Got your own spring cleaning tips? Share it with us!