If you’ve been looking at home designs and make over magazines, you might think it is easy to turn around your own home into something stellar like the ones in the magazine. However, there is more work and money involved in interior decoration than these magazines let you think.
We’ve come up with these 5 easy steps to help you redecorate any part of your room and improve the way it looks.
1. Create a theme. You can have a different theme per room or you can come up with a cohesive theme for the whole house. No matter what you decide, make sure that all elements of the room is relevant to the overall theme. Some common themes are retro, camouflage, modern and funky, seasonal and even movie-based themes like Harry Potter. Make your space a reflection of you with the right bedroom style or decorating theme that suits you perfectly.
2. Choose a color. Sometimes the color you have to choose is based on your theme but there are also instances when color becomes the theme of the room. For example, a girl’s bedroom can be all pink or all purple and a boy’s room could be blue or green. Setting the color of the room is the foundation of the overall design and can affect the mood or atmosphere of the room. You can choose one consistent color or shades of that color that will be present in each pattern. Choosing a theme color creates a cohesive feel in your decor.
3. Include variations. Do not use one pattern all over the room. For example, if you choose a checkered design, choose at least 3 to 4 different patterns you can use to decorate your space. This ensures that the room doesn’t get too boring or uniform.
4. Vary the scale. In the example above, you can choose 3 to 4 checkered patterns with varying scale – one small-scale pattern, one medium, and one large. This technique helps the patterns complement each other, rather than compete.
5. Vary the lines. Do not be too rigid with your design. Introduce other elements that would complement your theme. For example, having all lines in your theme can make the design look stiff and boring. You can add curves to soften your design.
Your imagination is the limit when it comes to redesigning your room. You don’t have to limit your design to what you usually see in the magazines. Remember, your design should be a reflection of your personality, your tastes, your preferences and your character. By carefully following the steps outlined above, you can freely mix and match the elements of your design to get the look that you want!